Friday, December 3, 2010

Off topic post, but I just had to say this...


Ok, I was reading around the internet today and found something that I believe is important, and a little funny.  So, I decided that I would deviate from the topic of Tiny Houses to share something that is personal as well as important to me.  I own a gun.

Well, actually, I own more than a few guns but that's not really the point.  The point is that we have a constitutional right to own a gun.  I personally believe that we have a responsibility as well as a duty to be prepared at all times.  Now, don't go jumpin' to conclusion and lumping me into some group of crazy extremists or some other wack-job weirdos.  (I do that perfectly fine without any help, thank you.)

What I mean to say is that I believe in our Second Amendment right to bear arms and I like hunting and sport shooting, what you might call target shooting.  I resent all of the implications that go along with the stereotypical image that most people get when they think of the Second Amendment issue and gun control.  I do not think of myself as an extremist or a survivalist in the sense that most might believe, but I do believe in being prepared by being armed and I believe in practicing as a means of gun safety so I know what to do with both ends of a gun.

Researching this post I found the following information with I lifted from Wikipedia:


James Madison's initial proposal for a bill of rights was brought to the floor of the House of Representatives on June 8, 1789, during the first session of Congress. The initial proposed passage relating to arms was:
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.[69]
On July 21, Madison again raised the issue of his Bill and proposed a select committee be created to report on it. The House voted in favor of Madison's motion,[70] and the Bill of Rights entered committee for review. The committee returned to the House a reworded version of the Second Amendment on July 28.[71] On August 17, that version was read into the Journal:
A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but no person religiously scrupulous shall be compelled to bear arms.

I found the following list on a web site that I frequent and I found most of the items on the list somewhat humorous but very pointed.  You might take a minute to read:


  • An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
  • A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
  • Colt: The original point and click interface.
  • Gun control is not about guns - it's about control.
  • If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
  • If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
  • Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
  • If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
  • Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
  • The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.
  • What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
  • The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
  • 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
  • Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.
  • Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
  • You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
  • 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
  • Assault is a behavior, not a device.
  • Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.
  • If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
  • You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.
  • Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have - don't make more.
  • When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

1 comment:

E said...

Then Europeans must be slaves?
How do you explain high US gun murder rates compared to lower rates in countries without so many guns?