Monday, December 13, 2010

Mobile Gardening for small spaces, or anywhere

A few years ago I found a gardening system that was being sold at ridiculously high price called Earth Boxes.  These planting boxes employed a very efficient growing system that almost takes care of itself but including a reservoir for watering your plants.  Fortunately for me, I was able to resist the allure of this dynamic planting system.  However, this morning, I found an alternative the Earth Boxes that Ryan Mitchell of The Tiny Life had posted on his blog.  I lifted this image from Ryan's page.  Thanks Ryan.
After a few trips to You Tube I discovered that there are a lot of people smarter than me!  Go figure...anyway, this planting method is really simple and really cool.  The point the I like most about this bucket planter is that you can move your plants around until you find the perfect spot for each plant that allows just the right amount of sun, shade, or postal address.  Yup, Tiny House travelers can actually move their Tiny Houses and their tiny gardens at the same time.  How cool is that!?!

Here's another video of the same guys showing how they actually plant in a Mobile Gardening bucket.  I love this idea and I intend to start collecting buckets for this new gardening idea.  I could start my seedlings inside late this winter and move them outside at the right point in the growing season.  This is just the greatest idea.

I sure am thankful that someone smarter than me figured this out for us.  Y'all have to excuse me now 'cause I gotta go shop some seed catalogs.  I sooooo psyched!  Let's get out there and make it a great day!

No comments: