Friday, December 10, 2010

The Minsumer Movement: A Quiet Revolution

OK, this is getting dangerous.  I have been reading too much of Miss Minimalist and The Minsumer Movement.  I find that I am liking it waaay too much.  This minimalist stuff is making lots of sense to me and I have been thinking of downsizing my stuff.  Yup, I am seriously thinking of shaking off the consumer mentality of having things and learning to live more freely by not being "owned" my by stuff.  Having all this stuff just seems to make me have to fix it or take care of it or protect it or "something it."

So, what do you think?

1 comment:

E said...

I too have been reading a lot of Miss Minimalist's stuff, and have actually posted my story to her site, to be published on the 4th of July! I am so glad I came across her and her blog. I too think i love it too much, but after almost a decade of searching for alternate anxiety/stress relievers (as opposed to just popping a pill like so many people are wont to do) minimalism is like an epiphany for me and like MM, I enjoy talking about it and sharing tips and advice. I feel more detached, free and more able to focus and enjoy experiences more. Geez I sound like a sales pitch...;) but really, I love finding like minded people on the subject. Have you read MM's philosophical entries on the subject? She quotes Seneca and Epicurus and talks of arete and sophrosyne.