Thursday, November 4, 2010

Windows

I went to pick up the free windows offered by a friend and found that I may not be able to use them.  Sadly, the casement was not included and I am not secure enough in my woodworking skills to be able to rebuild the window case/frame.  I bet that windows could prove to be one of the most expensive parts of a Tiny House.  I intend to investigate this more this morning but I would welcome any comments about this problem because I am still feeling afraid of these windows but also wishing that I could use them.  They include the wood frames around the panes as well as the spring loaded aluminum side tracks as the opening/closing mechanism.


The major problem that I observed was the lack of mounting holes in the aluminum tracks to secure them to the rebuilt frame/casement. I suppose that I could simply screw the track to the window frame and seal it well enough to make things work.  Building the frames would require extreme care to create a frame with a very close tolerance that would produce a good seal all around the window pane.

I completed little research this morning, as I was write this post, has significantly changed my opinion.  I found this picture:
You can see how this individual built the frame including the inner frame that functions as a stop when closing the window.  This was the part of the project that I couldn't visualize.  This provides me with the missing element that I couldn't imagine.








I have a second picture that I shamelessly lifted from another website of the same window that shows the detail a little better.  In this picture, from the inside of the open window, you can see the framing better and how this method would create a better seal to lock out drafts and present a solid frame for closing this style of window.  I am optimistic about these windows again and have already contacted my friends to tell them that I may be changing my mind.  I believe that I will get those windows and at the very least, try to build a usable frame.  If I am unable to achieve these results, at least I will have some glass that I can use in another place or simply dispose of them as my friends would have to do.

So, another trip to visit my friends house and pick up those windows this time.  Thanks for stopping by.  And if you have any advice, I'd be glad to hear from you.  Let's get out there and make it a great day!