Friday, November 5, 2010

Taking liberties...

I debated about posting the following information because while I believe in referencing other blogs through the obvious employment of links I was not sure I wanted to reference something from so very long ago.  The post to which I am referring is from December of 2007 and was originally included as content on a Tiny House blog that I found while researching related links for building information.  I've taken the liberty to borrow the concept from Kevin and recirculate it here.



Kevin Rose has been working on a tremendous project of building a pole barn that he is close to completing but what brought me to his blog site, Building Gypsy Rose, was the historical information relating the experiences of Kevin and his partner Marion as they built the "Gypsy Rose."  I find these blog reports extremely informative and helpful because it affords new comers like me the benefit of experience gained by those who have traversed the terrain of building a Tiny House without the need to make ALL the mistakes personally.  Some one once told me that life is too short for me to be able to ALL the mistakes myself so I should learn from others.  Sounds good to me.


Anyway, Kevin posted a quote in 2007 that struck me with such force that I had to link to his site as well as re-post it here.  I found this information was so compelling that it has haunted me all night and found it's way into my conversation with someone else again this morning.  Victor Lebow, a 20th century economist and retail analyst has been quoted from a paper he produced in 1955 as saying,


“Our enormously productive economy... demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption...We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing rate."


Kevin included this quote as part of his blog in review of the short video produced by Annie Leonard and I found it extremely relevant to today's economy as well as the Tiny House mind set.  I am awestruck by the consumer mentality  into which we are drawn from birth.  (You should really take a look at this video because it's is insightful and invaluable.)


Anyway, that's my post for today, because this idea simply will not go away or leave me alone.  I had to post it again.  Thanks to Kevin for his leading me to this reference.  Oh, I should also say that I was able to pick up my windows yesterday and I remain optimistic about making them work in the cabin.  I want to say thank you to Ervin and Brenda for their support.  I hope to give these windows and the door a second life (but maybe not the window shade).  There are enough windows that I may even be able to use two as part of a passive solar heating system, but only time will tell.  Thanks for stopping by.  Let's get out there and make it a great day!

No comments: