Friday, January 7, 2011

I quit television

Not really.  I don't have the guts to actually unplug like that, but I want too.  I have been wrestling, or Wraslin' if'n your from our house, with the idea of prioritizing the things in my life to get a better grasp on what I spend my time doing.  It has been one of those things that haunts my thoughts and pesters me until I just sit down and work it out; i.e. careful reflection.  I have been procrastinating a personal review of my use of time because I have a sneaking suspicion that I don't really want confirmed.  Read on...
Well, lately I see myself every evening following the same agenda:
1. feeding the livestock
2. finishing dinner
3. being very responsible and cleaning up the kitchen (we don't want those stinking insects back, do we?)
4. collapsing in front of the television to enjoy the latest movie from the "group" of movie friends with whom we share disks between.

Now, this is not so very bad, really, is it?  Well, it is glaringly apparent to me that I have been spending waaaay too much time watching television and not getting productive things accomplished.  But hey, I've cleaned the kitchen and the laundry is finished, so I've "earned" the right to relax, haven't I?  Well, to be honest, I'm not really relaxing because these stinking projects that I've identified as something that I really wanted to do, so I began collecting the information, compiling the research, and stocking the materials, etc. to complete aforementioned project, that now the pieces, parts, and stuff have a life of their own that includes a nagging, SHUT UP IN THERE, voice of their own that pesters me to "get on with it already."

And then, as if on cue, one of my Bloggy friends, Rachel Jonat, over at the Minimalist Mom adds to the cacophony of motivational chorus of my nagging stock pile that what I'm doing is outlined in a book titled: The Art of War.  Thanks a lot.  I really needed another kick in the butt.  Secretly, I know I really do need the motivational impetus, but just wasn't thinking that I'd get it in such I timely delivery.  In any case, I know that I'm watching too much television and am reminded by my Dad, who has long since departed this earthly plain but remains a constant companion and mentor, that the "Boob Tube" will turn your brain to mush.  So, Rachel, you're in excellent company and perfect harmony too.

All that being said, I wish I had the fortitude to quit television because I know that is it a tremendous time waster.  However, it is one of those things that I really love to do.  Maybe I should attempt to ration my TV time as suggested by Dr. Robert H. Lustig; USFC Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology in his You Tube video: Sugar: The Bitter Truth.  In this video, related to high fructose corn syrup, among other things that are actually killing us, Dr. Lustig outlines a clinical recommendation for a lifestyle change that includes "buy your screen time minute-for-minute with physical activity.  This sounds like an excellent compromise to me instead of actually quiting TV totally.  It would seem that then I could accomplish more and still see reruns of NCIS or some of the movies that my film sharing buddies are offering.  Hummm...

This still doesn't get at the core of the issue that Janet points out from The Art of War: fighting the resistance.  Some psychologist may refer to this condition as "fear of success."  What ever you call it, it's still procrastination and it's a debilitating thing.  We all do it in some form or another, in some part of our lives.  I believe it may even be referred to as a coping mechanism.  But it still can't be a good thing.  (Where are those tricky tax receipts.  I'm gonna...)

I think that this whole experience is based on our ability to be honest with ourselves and accurately verbalize "the resistance."  It may not actually be necessary to overcome the enemy, but in naming "the resistance" we expand our awareness of the problem and take the first step to improve the efficiencies with which we process different elements of our lives.  (Ow, that hurt my head, too much thinking...)

Anyway, I do intend to try to control my screen time as part of my wasting time that prevents me from doing some of those projects that I really do want to accomplish.  Oh, yah, I'm getting my bicycle fixed too, but that's another story entirely.  Sorry for confusing the issue.

It's gonna be a great year!  Thanks for stopping by.  (I hope I didn't scare you too much.)  Let's get out there and make it a great day!

No comments: