Friday, October 22, 2010

New beginnings...

This is the first post for our new blog site.  I wanted to begin at the beginning where we are still in the planning stages of our Tiny House to be built on Rebel Ranch in Lincoln County, Kentucky.  I have been researching this project for some time now and have been joined by my wife, Laura, in examining construction methods as well as design ideas for our project.  A few of the places that I have been reading regularly include Jay Shafer's Tumbleweed Tiny House Company, Tiny House Designs, The Tiny Life, and Tiny House Blog.  I would encourage anyone interested in the Tiny House movement to visit these sites.

I am pretty excited and have been having a very hard time containing my enthusiasm to the current remodeling projects that we have undertaken in our home.  We have been working of a significant number of remodeling projects that I have secretly been using at OJT (on-the-job-training) to improve my lack of formal construction knowledge that will be required to build our Tiny House.  It has been a tremendous learning experience and while I have been telling myself that each job is one step closer to the Tiny House project, it has made the act of patience much easier to absorb because I can convince myself that the remodeling is actually bringing me that much closer to beginning the Tiny House.  I know that this is a weird idiosyncrasy that amounts to psychologically tricking myself into completing my "honey-do" list.  But, hey, it works for me.

Another weird thing that we do around Rebel Ranch is name everything.  Yup, everything.  Cars, trucks, dogs, horses, goats, motorcycles.  We name it all.  That way, when we're discussing which field what animal is grazing in, we can be specific.  This naming fascination has been extended to the Tiny House project and I have begun thinking of names for the Tiny House; "Love Shack" or "Get-a-way Cabin" are on the top of the list right now, but it will be a while before we settle on anything.  What we have found is that most of these things have a way of naming themselves, like the goats that were borne early one morning at just about breakfast time.  They became "biscuit" and "gravy" and I was always hungry when we started talking about those two.  Anyway, the Tiny House will most probably name itself somewhere along the way so I'm in no rush to settle on anything specific right now.

The biggest question we have been wrestling with is location.  Where on our small farm do we want to build.  We have discussed this twice and I feel like Laura and I have a general understanding about placing the Tiny House in the "back-back" field.  (I know, that's a crazy name for field, but it works for us.)  That would mean that all materials and supplies would be packed in for construction since we can't drive back there because it's on the opposite side of a semi-deep dry steam bed that is too dangerous to attempt to cross with anything other than an ATV four-wheeler.  We may be forced to press "Teddy" into service for delivering some of the building materials and act as gopher to pick up those things that we usually forget and have to go back to the big house for.

Well, I will get some pictures of the proposed location for our Tiny House and promise to put them up here very soon.  I intend to document as much of the construction process as possible.  Thanks for stopping by our 2 Coyotes blog spot.  Let's get out there and make it a great day!

No comments: